RSS

Yaoi Art: “Junkyard” Pin-up by Ponderosa

February 12, 2011 | | Comments 203 |

One thing about making independent comics is that it can take a long time to finish. When you’re DC or Marvel, if you want great work done quickly, you can just throw money at it, but when you’re just a guy with a desire to tell cool stories, that’s not an option. And as I’ve said before on this blog, I’d rather have to wait a little bit to get great art and tell my story the right way than cut corners and wind up with a comic that’s just so-so.

The challenge, of course, is staying connected with your readers. I mean, I’m never going to get rich making yaoi comics. (On some days, breaking even seems like a lot to hope for…) So the only realistic reward I can reasonably expect is to have my work connect with people and to hear back from them. And I have to tell you, the kind words you all have put in the comments of this blog and on my Facebook page more than make all the hard work worthwhile. 😀

But I’m still presented with the challenge of how to stay in my readers minds if it takes several months to finish a chapter. This is a particular problem for new folks who sign up for our mailing list and then don’t hear from me for a long time. They get that first Welcome Email with the links to our free comics, don’t hear anything for weeks and weeks, and by the time they get sent an email with the next comic, they often have no memory of signing up. Some even hit the dreaded Junk/Spam button, which among other things, actually sends me a direct message calling me a spammer” even though they themselves asked to get my emails!

My Evil Plan

The solution, of course, is to send out more emails to my subscribers. But, the truth is, I myself don’t like to get a ton of email even if I do sign up for something. And I’m not just going to send out random, content-free updates, if I’m going to send an email to thousands of people (close to 14,000 subscribers right now!), then it has to be something that I myself would be delighted to get. So I got to thinking: comics take a long time to finish; but a full-color pin-up, that’s a much different matter. And getting sexy art with the boys kissing and stuff, well, that’s something I’d be delighted to get in my Inbox.

So… I’ve decided to work with some of my favorite yaoi artists to create pin-ups of our characters that I can send out as exclusive downloads for my subscribers to use as computer desktop wallpaper/screensavers. I’ve commissioned four of them and the first one, by yaoi artist Ponderosa, is now ready for subscribers to download!

Here’s what it looks like:

Thumbnails of "Junkyard" wallpaper by Ponderosa

Art by Kimi Owens. © 2011 Alex Woolfson.

(Click image to enlarge)

People who are currently subscribed to the Yaoi 911 News & Downloads mailing list have already been sent the links for high-res wallpapers of this image that work on all the standard computer monitor sizes as well as the iPhone. But for new subscribers, I’m trying something different. When new members sign up for the list, they will be sent a link to these wallpapers (and all the others as I create them), but those particular links won’t be in that first Welcome Email. Instead, I’ll send this first wallpaper out a couple days after they sign up. Other pin-ups (when they’re done) I’ll send out maybe every week after that first one. That way, new subscribers will get more than just one email from me, and so hopefully they will be more likely to remember who the heck Yaoi 911 is in the future and feel a bit more connected to our work right now. And they’ll get a nice treat in their Inbox every week or so which makes me smile when I think about it. 🙂

That’s my evil plan, anyway.

An Experiment

As with pretty much everything I do in this wacky new world of publishing independent comics through the Internet, this is an experiment. I had this art created in the hope that you might like it and, over the next few months, I’ll be sending out 3 more new wallpapers. But what do you think? As a subscriber, would you want me to send you free, yaoi wallpapers? Do you like seeing Mike and Rob like this? And what do you think of the art? Sweet, sexy, cool, not cool?

Please let me know in the comments section of this blog post! If it turns out you all like these, then I’ll commission more of them and subscribers will hear from me a bit more often, like once a month or so. (And if you really like the art, then I’ll also make them available as posters you can get at our store.)

So to sum up: This is the first of four wallpapers. I plan to release them once a month for the time being. And by that time, hopefully I’ll have another comic ready to share with you all. 🙂

Please let me know what you think!

Want to download the high-res versions of this wallpaper? Well, it’s easy! Just fill out the form on the Free Comics page and the link will be sent to you within 48 hours of your sign up! (And you get download links for the first two completed chapters of Tough sent to you immediately in the Welcome Email. That’s 70 full-color pages of yaoi goodness. For free. Score!)

Enjoy reading articles like these? Don’t miss out! Get Yaoi 911 blog posts emailed right to you — for free!

Filed Under: "Tough"ArtMerchYaoi 911

Tags:

About the Author: Filmmaker by day, yaoi creator by night, Alex has dedicated himself to helping cute guys fight evil and find love.

RSSComments (203)

1. ragnar87 says:

Pretty nice screensaver, actually. Too bad there is no more screensavers like this. And, of course, comics…well done!))

2. xenos4 says:

It’s a great idea to send wallpapers to your subsribers. I love them and have them as a desktop background on my computer 🙂

Thanks a lot and a big thumps up !

3. Lelouch says:

The art work for Tough is simply breath taking and the story really captures the essence of love with a little spice to it. I really have enjoyed the stories, art work and can not wait for more!

4. Sehtey says:

Awesome background wallpaper 😀
    I love Tough, my favourite being chapter 2 (lol) I can’t wait to see how it progresses.

5. CLoVah says:

I agree with Lelouch 😀
    Is chapter three coming out soon or had I missed on that? xD

6. Tabbris says:

In terms of skill, I’d say the wallpaper is accomplished and cool! In terms of sexiness I think it’s rather lacking. It might just be me but I feel it’s lacking in atmosphere a tiny bit.. and the two people seem almost like they have been stuck on the background? I mean obviously they haven’t but maybe a bit?

7. auroraivy says:

I like the background picture and made sure to download it. 🙂 I am very much looking forward to seeing the story progress and the characters grow as well.

8. creedshadow says:

Really like the story tough the art work it really brillant and cant’ wait to see where the story will go. The wallpaper art work is cool hope to see more of them and I’m also enjoying the other comics

9. Des says:

It isn’t as much yaoi as it is shounen-ai… I don’t refer to gay-goddness as yaoi unless it is manga. but hey, I like this way better! The artwork is simply amazing! Artifice made me subscribe right away. The story is so sweet and the cliffhanger is so frustrating D: I’ve read the other ones too, I’m hooked. I can’t wait for more comics ><

10. vessto says:

Thank you so much for the free downloads!! I really appreciate it as I can’t buy anything BL related.

11. c.s.walter says:

It is awesome to have a webcomic developer keeping in touch with fans and offering free goodies. Thanks so much. (Though I do have to admit that Deacon and Jeff still hold the number one spot for cutest couple for me.)

12. Sabishiioni says:

Every time I have a bad day (which I think has been happening more then is fair…), there’s always something that you did that made me smile. A new comic page, an e-mail with awesome stories or wallpapers and even doing something magical with encouraging people to talk and tell their own stories- you’ve done it all and you’ve managed to do it when I needed a smile the most. I hope you never doubt yourself or the good that you’re doing. Your stories are alright too. JOKING! I love everything Yaoi 911 has put out. You are an amazing writer, art director and producer. And you have a really good eye for amazing artist! So thank you. I know it’s mostly coincidence that it happens this way, but I don’t think it hurts to say that.

• One of my main goals of creating these comics is to brighten my readers lives, if even in a small way. So it makes me very happy to hear that my work has done that for you.

Thank you so much for the very kind words—and for taking the time to let me know how my work has made you feel! 😀

13. I read Artifice, so that’s how I found you. I just subscribed yesterday. I love the pin up and would like more! This is just wonderfulness ://D. I look forward to so much more from you guys

14. More wallpapeeeers! Love it 😀

15. I just discovered you yesterday and have already read everything you have posted, as well as the free downloads, which I love! This wallpaper is awesome and I can’t wait for more!

16. radlilim says:

I like the wallpaper, great blog and comics!

17. Pharaonin says:

They are great! and the comics, awesome. I really like your work. I just signed up yesterday, and I’m really glad that I find this side. I#m looking forward to new works from you.
    and thank you for the free downloads.
    I really can’t say how…….
    well i can’t say it and can’t write it either. your work yust makes me happy!

18. The artwork is awesome and i love the fact that we will finally have a gay mans view instead of a womans.(not that i dislike their work) I have gay friends i tried to get to read some though and he laughed and said he could tell that it was written by a woman.so i cant wait to show him some of your work and thank you for not hiding it and showing others that its ok to say your gay and be in the public. i think you awesome.i have shown a few kids ( who were having problems) this and now they said they dont feel so alone.not that they thought that they were the only gays but its hard when ur a kid and finding urself and a adult that stands up for himself makes it easier for the kids to follow what they also believe.thank you so much for being you.sorry kind of corny but it needed to be said.

19. Draco says:

I absolutely love this wall paper! I can’t wait for more. I think the setting is sexy, as well as the whole story line. I can’t wait for more! Post more faster! Haha. Make more stories too! I love all of your work, and the artists have amazing talent. <3 <3

20. Elle says:

Oh, I love Ponderosa’s work, and the comics. So very, very cool.

It was wonderful to see this in my inbox X D

21. Lud says:

First of all, sorry for my bad english, unfortunately this is not my mother language.
    Secondly (?), thanks for your e-mail- I really loved to receive this wallpaper, it’s wonderful! **
    And…i think I could answer to your question, tough maybe You don’t give a fuck about it.
    So. As a subscriber, I’d love to receive those wonderful wallpaper and stuff from you, and yes, I like seeing Mike and Rob doing this kind of stuff 🙂 ( Otherwise, I wouldn’t be here.)
    “And what do you think of the art? Sweet, sexy, cool, not cool?” This that you send me just yesterday is really pretty, and Rob— Mioddio, Rob is just faboulos.
    Thanks for your work (?), again 😀

22. Marie-C.D.O says:

All the comics you and your team makes is absoluetly amazing and wonderful ! I like how every story looks so unique, and interesting ! I’m looking forward more of these cute and lovely yaoi stories ~ When I open my mailbox, I’m always looking if I have a Yaoi911 e-mail , hahaha ! Thanks for the wallpapers and the other stuff ! <3

Bien à vous
    Marie ~

23. ukeshadow says:

I love the wallpaper Junkyard. It was a wonderful thing to find in my email this morning when i got up at 5am for work. Now im going to have a wonderful day thinking what ill come back to on my computer screen. I just signed up yesterday after re reading The Young Protectors for the tenth time since i found it friday and im already loving being sent these. Thank you so much for the wonderful free things.

24. Emerald says:

Dudes this is some smexy stuff. I love the art work and the emotions that you can literally see on their faces. I can’t wait to get the other one as soon as possible. Freaking LOVE IT!!! So happy! ‘Tough’ is one of my fave comics right now. ^w^

25. Caitlin says:

Oh how I really love this! The stories are simply perfect, the artwork is just breathtaking (sexy I might add)! The first wallpaper that you have alreay sent me is already on my iPhone and Laptop. 🙂
    Cannot wait for more!
    Keep up the work!! 🙂

26. Cabiano says:

Mmmmmyes.

It’s rather a random place for them to be, but it’s still cute and hot.
    I love their expressions.

• Yeah, when Ponderosa and I were discussing the wallpaper, I wanted it set someplace “interesting.” I believe she was the one who suggested a junkyard and it seemed like it could be fun, so I said yes. I’m pleased with how it turned out. 🙂

(And yes, she did a great job with the expressions, huh?)

27. Jean-Claude says:

I love the wallpapers,hope you keep sending more of them. Thanks again Alex 🙂

28. ali1323 says:

i loved the wallpaper<3 it was sexy and cuteXD

29. kungfunurse says:

Hi Alex!

Just dropping by to say hello and that I really liked Junkyard. If you’re going to keep sending me pretties like this in my inbox, I’ll be looking forward to every single email I see your name on. 🙂

30. dreambastion says:

I think the pin-ups are awesome 🙂 I don’t mind getting the additional emails if it keeps me up to date on how things are going, and doubly cool if I get free art out of it!

31. chou312 says:

i actually look forward to your emails and i’m always excited to see what’s coming next. =) even without the wallpapers, i’d still read the emails. haha the extra stuff is just a sweet, sweet bonus. x)

32. kaycee1967 says:

Alex,

Great comics all around! Looking forward to more tough and to Young Protectors. The Daddy/Boy thing there is pretty hot!

Great lines and great writing…

TJay

33. secretsorrow says:

It’s very difficult for me to say it because i don’t speak/write english very well but I have to tell you that I support you. I think your art is very great, I love the way you draw (It’s my dream to draw like you in a future) and I think that more people should do what you are doing, I mean, recently, I start reading yaoi comics (because I didn’t have Internet before) and I really like it, I discover a world that is fascinating and I wish that more independient authors like you show us their art.
    Needless to say that I love the way you draw and your characters are fabulous. I will keep reading your stories while you follow making them.
    Best wishes from Argentina!! :3

• Thank you very much for the props, secretsorrow. I’m delighted to hear that you are enjoying our work. I, myself, cannot take credit for the art: I’m the writer and I work with very talented artists to create art for my stories. But I’m very glad to hear that you are liking their work—so do I! And I hope you’ll continue to enjoy my comics. 🙂

34. Koda says:

Hi Alex!

Thanks for taking your time in creating all this for us! I’m a new reader and I am impressed. I enjoy all the comics you and your artist(s) do and I thank you all for taking your time into creating these.

I also enjoy the wallpapers that you gave us, and I’m looking forward to the next one that will be released. I have a question, however, are these all going to be of Tough? Or will you release some of Young Protectors and Artifice as well?

Thanks again! <3

• Thank you very much for the kind words, Koda! I’m very glad to hear that you’re enjoying my comics!

In answer to your question, I am working with artist Adam DeKraker on creating some The Young Protectors wallpapers right now. So be on the lookout for them in the early part of next year!

Happy Holidays!

35. Prismcake says:

Wonderful 😀 thankyou so much for the link to this. Love your work and the artwork!
    much love
    -Prismcake

36. BeAColour says:

OMG I found you yesterday, and I can only thank whatever gods I don’t believe that I did! Your stuff is amazing, I have read everything you have done, even though I’m sick, but it was so worth going to work just to be able to see your stuff 😀 .. Please continue with the good work 😀
    Greetings from Denmark 😀

37. Alena says:

i’m so happy i find this blog, i love yaoi and… just thanks, and the wallpaper is great, please continue with your work. please. please, please! 🙂

38. Verona says:

Hey Alex!
    i subscribed and read every comic of you so far and I have to say I really am impressed how much work and love you put in creating them!

I love drawing and creating storys too (nothing compared to your work <3) so I'm a very big fan of comics particularly "yaoi"-comics so I read a lot of them but I personally think yours are the best I read so far!
    I love the fantastic and realistic storys and the realistic drawing style of the characters!
    (in the japanese ones I often have to read until page 20 to actually believe that the characters are boys not girls…) I also adore sci-fi so Artifice was the perfect mix for me! =D

I pray you never stop with that awesome work and I'm looking forward to everything you will do in the future!!!
    I also have a questione: You make films? What kind of films?
    Oh and keep sending the posters they are beautiful…I will put them all up on my wall!

I wish you the very best for the future!<3

39. LMCbrat07 says:

me like. sexy, yet not not sleazy. 🙂 looking forward to future emails

40. cookiedragon says:

It’s gorgeous, I look forward to the next ones.

41. hisoka01 says:

I love the wallpaper and it is sensual, sexy and HOT 🙂 I am looking forward to future emails.

Your comics Artifice and The Young Protectors is amazing, your art is sensual, sexy and HOT and love to read your Series. I have buy the book Artifice and can’t wait to have the book in my hands, I have follow both Series from the beginning.

42. Fabuzing says:

I’m in love with your work! You my friend are very talented. You’ve made a fan out of me (:

43. Derles says:

Let me start by saying that I like Tough and the other comics on this site alot 🙂
    The thing is that I’m always waiting for the next page in the comics to amp up the sex! Maybe not with everything hanging out (But that would be nice). Just some more… Teasing images 😀

But overall very happy and can’t wait for the next part of Tough 🙂

44. Eternal.Optimist says:

Thank you very much for the link to the wallpaper. It evoked a wistful nostalgia for something that I wish had happened much earlier in my life than when it finally did.

45. Annimagus says:

The pin-up wallpapers are an awesome idea, and I am totally in favor! Can’t wait to see more! Could I request Red-Hot? =P

46. bronakopdin says:

Hey Alex,

(after re-reading this I’m sorry for writing you such a novel ^^’)

as you say yourself I’m normally on guard with any subscriptions to not be spammed with Emails.

Normally

but I couldn’t stop myself anymore and I think it was a good decision! I totally love this wallpaper and I only read “Tough” yesterday after receiving my first mail 🙂

if you only want to know about sending more mails: PLEASE GO AHEAD!!!
    I’m addicted to your stories right now and the artists work is just amazing 😀

if you further want to know about my experience and how it came to my subscription at the first place, you’re welcome to read the rest ^^ but you don’t need to 🙂

At first I found The Young Protectors (I got it recommended in a certain Yaoi Manga community) – and I have to say at first I was rather sceptical to read a “comic” since I’m your typical “manga” fujoshi – but I became a big fan in a few moments ^^

It was actually the first time I read a “comic” in about 15 years (and I’m only 24!) but I really love your storytelling! Content and it’s telling is always the most important reason for me to read sth and it’s a fact – I’m kinda bored by all the always-the-same-over-dramatical-lovey-dovey-yaoi-Manga stories which is why I nowadays am very picky in choosing my stuff to read.

Your action elements are a very welcome change and I have to admit I never thought I’d read about “superheroes” xD
    Also it’s just refreshing to NOT read those typical – and with time getting annoying – Japanese behavourial treats for once 🙂

I was reading the whole story up to the by then latest page (it was some time in June this year) and couldn’t wait for the next one to arrive.

It stayed with this for a while but as everyone at some point I started to read the comments and then found out that you did other projects, too!

Only last week or so I finally decided to read “Artifice” since I read about it in the comments so much and afterwards I felt the need to immediatly hold it in my hands! Sadly it will take about a month to arrive in Germany but I’m used to waiting ^^

so after loving those two stories and always beeing curious about that advertisement with the kissing boys on the right side of your posts I finally clicked it yesterday and didn’t need to think twice about a subscription!

When I then read the first 2 chaters of “Tough” after receiving my mail, I was searching the site and found the pencils of 3… and sadly saw it’s already like 2 or 3 years since then!
    I thought “oh noes, will it even be continued?”

And now I get mail with a wallpaper! I’m so happy the story is not “forgotten” and as long as this is the case I’d love to get any update in whichever form about this and all of your other projects 😀
    I really hope for “Tough”‘s continuation, I’d love to see a continuation of “Artifice” and I’m looking forward to each page and bonus page of “the Young Protectors”
    (though I’m having my troubles with the story right now, oh Annie what are you up to?!?!?!?! ;'( )

I really love your work and of course the work of the awesome artists which can tell your stories so intense with their impressive drawings and colourings!

count me in for more updates 🙂

best regards and greetings from Germany

bronakopdin~

47. Bboy says:

I’ve got my welcome email few days ago but Just finished reading “Tough” today. My first expression after reading was Why the F**k i didn’t read this earlier?. How was the comic you ask? In one word “Awesome Brilliant Breath-taking”. I know its not one word but then again you can’t express this amount awesomeness in one word.

48. […] the other wallpapers I sent, I commissioned artist Ponderosa (who made the first Tough wallpaper, “Junkyard”) to create a brand new, completely Safe For Work wallpaper starring Tough‘s heroes.It’s […]

You must be logged in to post a comment.